Fri. Jun 14th, 2024

Perhaps, you had a legal issue in Kentucky, and you are from California, and the other person involved in the case is from Florida; how will you go about it? (Get help from the best Immigration lawyer here)

Will you probably engage an Idaho lawyer if you intend to file your lawsuit there or a Kentucky attorney if you want to file it in Kentucky? This article fully answers the previous question and expatiates on things you should consider before hiring an immigration attorney. Raring to go? Let’s roll! 

Immigration law is a government policy that is upheld by a federal agency. Federal agencies are responsible for enforcing immigration laws. As a result, a client may be represented before any immigration court in any other state by an immigration attorney who has been admitted to practice law in that jurisdiction.

The conventional belief that you should ensure your attorney is an active member of your state bar association when hiring them to represent you in immigration law cases is false. 

It Is Legal to Practice Federal Agency Immigration Laws Anywhere. 

Once a lawyer has obtained a bar association license in one state and gained a basic understanding of immigration law, the lawyer is free to practice anywhere they deem fit, in any state in the United States or even abroad. This is authorized by the immigration authorities. 

Immigration authorities in the United States are aware of this fact. They will accept assistance from attorneys who are members of the bar in different states, regardless of where in the country the immigrant application will be meeting with the office or immigration court. Many lawyers wind up working outside of the state where they first received their license. Furthermore, companies could still accept clients from other states even if they continue to operate within the same state.

Things to consider before hiring an immigration attorney are as follows: 

  • The legal representative must belong to a state bar association. Do not believe that bar membership is not required for an immigration attorney, as some people do. The lawyer must be a member of the bar of a U.S. state or territory, commonwealth, or the District of Columbia to represent you in immigration proceedings. His or her state makes no difference.
  • The lawyer must be in good standing with the state bar association, which means they can practice law without being subject to any disciplinary measures or court orders prohibiting it.
  • The lawyer has to be a lawyer. It may seem simple, but immigration consultants, paralegals, document preparers, volunteers at community associations, and other individuals are not permitted to oversee your case or act on your behalf unless an attorney directly supervises them. Immigration law is incredibly complex, and entrusting your case to a non-expert can go wrong even if they have your best interests in mind. 

Naturally, for convenience’s sake, you should look for a lawyer who practices in the region where you will be attending your immigration hearings or interviews. This way, you can have your lawyer present without paying for a plane ticket.

By Manali