An identity crisis can affect the functioning of the person. The lack of self-acceptance causes anxiety and leads to personality disorders. Thus, individuals who exhibit signs of identity crisis should consult the best psychiatrist in Lahore. The specialist will conduct a psychological assessment to understand the cause and its severity. Psychotherapy helps individual rationalize their feelings and behavior. It allows them to become a productive and functional individual in society.
Identity crisis is a term used for individuals who feel confused about themselves. It can occur at any phase of life and cause anxiety. It affects the thought patterns and way of communication and causes hindrance in the completion of everyday tasks.
Signs of Identity Crisis
The symptoms of identity crisis include:
- The individual struggles to understand their purpose. They cannot value themselves and remain anxious throughout the day.
- The individual has low self-esteem causing hindrance in performing the everyday task. Low self-esteem affects productivity, and the person cannot feel content.
- The person constantly questions their worth. They feel aimless and lose interest in achieving their life goals.
- The person feels insecure about their close friends and family members.
- The individual becomes emotionally unstable and cannot healthily regulate them. It causes them to become anxious, irritable, and aggressive.
- The individual remains stressed out, which may cause depression and anxiety.
Identity Crisis Leading to Depression
The people who exhibit signs of identity crisis must seek help and support to overcome the problem and avoid further complications. It can lead to depression and affect physical health. The signs that an identity crisis is causing the individual to suffer from depression include:
- The individual cannot concentrate on any task, which affects performance.
- The individual remains agitated and irritable, which affects the relationships.
- The person has a constant feeling of hopelessness. It causes the person to feel unworthy of success and happiness.
- The person remains lethargic and inactive throughout the day.
- The person suffers from sleep disorders that can affect mood and performance.
- The low motivation and energy levels affect the thought process. Additionally, the person notices irrational change in the body weight. The weight change can affect physical health and lead to further complications.
Causes of Identity Crisis
The common causes that correlate with identity crisis include:
- The beginning of a new relationship can cause anxiety. Personal, cultural, and religious differences can lead to identity crises.
- Marital conflict and separation can cause mental health problems, including identity crises.
- A traumatic event such as losing a loved one can change the way one looks at life. It can affect the thought pattern and lead to an identity crisis.
- A lifetime medical condition can affect mental and physical health. It can contribute to identity crisis; thus, caregivers must provide support to help the patient cope with the illness.
- Starting a new job and moving to another place can cause an identity crisis.
Coping with Identity Crisis
The individuals suffering from identity crisis must:
- The person must have the courage to accept their feelings.
- The person must understand their values and belief system.
- Individuals should value their goals to achieve them. It allows them to become happy and have a sense of contentment.
- Individuals suffering from mental health problems must seek support from peers, friends, family members, and psychotherapists.
The therapy and medications that are proven effective in dealing with identity crises are:
- CBT: The change in the thought pattern helps the individual change their point of view. Positive thinking helps the individual to look at the positive aspects of life and acknowledge personal achievements.
- Narrative Therapy: The safe place to explain their feelings through stories help gain support from people struggling with the same problem.
- Anti-Anxiety Medications: The medications help reduce the physiological symptoms of anxiety. It allows the person to remain calm in a stressful situation and make rational decisions.
People should seek guidance regarding a suitable treatment plan from a reliable specialist at Shamshad Aslam Uppal Hospital.