Firsts are always special, whether it is your first love or your first tattoo. We understand your excitement levels are at peak when it is about getting your first tattoo ever, but there are several things to keep in mind before you get anything tattooed on your skin. Remember fellas, this piece of art is going to stay with you for a very long time that is why do your homework well guys!
Before Getting a Tattoo Checklist and Tips
The art of tattooing is gaining popularity and has widespread recognition that is unprecedented. Regardless of whether you do know something about tattoos, we think this guide and tattoo tips for beginners will help as you plan for your first tattoo.
- Start with a thorough research: Superficial research will lead you nowhere. We emphasize on doing a thorough research on your own that covers all the aspects of tattooing. From the designs to the tattoo supply that is used in inking, from artists to their forte, etc.
- Be original and communicate: Making your artist understand your design is very important. Most of the time, artists end up making their spooky designs similar to what you have seen on the internet rather than what you asked them to make. Hence, you need to communicate with your artist efficiently before he starts doing his job.
- Mentally prepare yourself about pain: Getting a tattoo will always hurt because you are inserting needles on your skin. However, the degree of pain will vary depending on where you decide to get it.
- Placement Decisions: Thinking about where to place your tattoo has a lot to do with its designing, how much pain will it cause, and how well it will soak the ink. Apart from these factors, you also need to keep in mind the body parts that will stay unaffected by pregnancy, weight gain, or weight loss so that your tattoo is protected.
- Do not haggle: Remember that you are going to get what you have paid for. So it is better to spend the deserved amount of money for the services the artist is giving you instead of bargaining.
- Prepare yourself well for that particular day: It is very important for you to mentally prepare yourself a night before going to your artist. You need to take good night’s sleep a night before and eat a solid meal before going. It is also advised to keep some snacks with you in case your sugar levels drop.
- Choose wisely: Choosing a design can be a tricky step in case you don’t have something already planned in your mind. Going for a name of your loved ones, or a tattoo in loving memory of a beloved can have negative motions of regret and sadness if things ever go south with them. Those tattoos, then will act as a painful reminder on your body.
- Be prepared to do all the aftercare steps your tattoo artist tells: A new tattoo will take approximately two weeks to fully heal. Until it is completely healed, your tattoo will be an open wound that needs extra care to avoid any kind of infection. Apart from religiously applying the ointment your artist has prescribed you, avoid going for swimming, or soaking in a water tub during this time. Moreover, keep the area protected from sunlight.
Tattoo Guide For Beginners
Think hard before you get it, this means that give yourself a couple of months and if the idea of tattoos still lingers in your mind that means you are ready for it. If you are getting your first tattoo, advice is to go for a place which is not visible and can be covered with clothing such as an ankle.
To get a tattoo for the first time, can be a very tough and a gutsy decision to make. But we assure you that it is completely okay to feel that. All you need to do is sit with your comrades who already have some sort of experience regarding tattooing and communicate with them about it. Get some information about their experience and journey, where did they get it from, how they got it, their feelings after they got one, These inquiries will help you a ton in deciding.
After you have got clarity, it is time to dive into some research and find a tattooist that is well-suited for your desired design and falls under your budget. For that matter, you can look into the work of that artist and read customer reviews, if it seems satisfactory, then defo go for it!
Lastly, consult with your artist about the design that you want and give time to this process as it is your first tattoo and should be memorable and should hold a meaning. After that, rock that tattoo ON.
First Tattoo Placement Advice
After the selection of your desired design, placement is what you need to think of. It is important to choose the best spot for your tattoo as it will help you appreciate the piece of art on your body in a better way.
Below we have mentioned five best placements for your first tattoo.
- Inner arm or Forearm: It is a good option to go with inner arm or forearm placement as it will help you conceal your tattoo. Your workplace ethics or culture might not be very open to it, so in that case this place will be an ideal choice.
- Thighs: It is considered as a painless area to get tattooed. In case you want a big piece as your first tattoo; thigh is the best option for you as you can hide it easily in case anything goes wrong.
- Calves: Away from your shin bone and below the knee can be another good option for starters as this place won’t hurt a lot. Your small first tattoo on the calf can later also be transformed into a calf sleeve if you want it that way.
- Shoulders: Since shoulders are linked with the arms, they do not hurt at all. Maybe 5-10% of pain but not more than that. You can always hide your shoulder tattoo in case it does not turn out well and you can later make a full tattoo sleeve out of it if it turns out to be good.
- Ribs: I would only suggest you go for ribs if you plan on hiding your tattoo at all times. Getting a tattoo there is hella painful.